Twelve months ago we were putting our feet up after a hard year of production on Good Grief. A year later and we’re putting our feet up after an exciting year of festivals, screenings and awards. We’re so pleased about how Good Grief has been received by audiences all across the world, from local favourites St Kilda Film Festival and the Melbourne International Animation Festival, to Brooklyn Film Festival in the United States, Dok Leipzig and the Hamburg Short Film Festival in Germany, to Animanima in Serbia and even Animpact in Japan, Korea and China.
We’ve screened in ten countries at 17 festivals and have picked up five awards and several prestigious nominations. We have done radio interviews, spoken at conferences and loitered around at the odd festival and awards night. During our final screening for the year at the Made in Melbourne Film Festival, we were even chased down and asked for a hug – it doesn’t get much better than that. One of the hidden side benefits of film-making is the sheer volume of new friends and relationships forged at screenings and events – and we’ve made some wonderful connections this year.
What has made all the effort worthwhile are the emails and feedback we get from people who have seen the film and feel compelled to get in touch. We’re thrilled that the stories we have shared have been useful, inspiring, educational and food for thought. We’re looking at setting up a distribution agreement with a leading grief education body, and hope to be able to share more of this with you in the new year. Keep your ear out for our announcement in early 2014 about a touring schedule for schools & educational screenings.
From Fi & Jonno, wishing you the best for the holiday season. We hope you’re spending it with the people, pets and things that matter most to you.
Festivals and screenings
- Official Selection: Animpact (November 2013, Korea/Japan/China)
- Official Selection: Made in Melbourne Film Festival (November 2013, Melbourne, Australia)
- Official Selection: Clare Valley Film Festival (November 2013, South Australia)
- Official Selection: Dok Leipzig (October/November 2013, Leipzig, Germany)
- Official Selection: London International Animation Festival (November 2013, London, UK)
- Official Selection: Anim’Est (November 2013, Bucharest, Romania)
- Official Selection: Cut Out Fest (November 2013, Mexico)
- Official Selection: Canberra Short Film Festival (September 2013, Canberra, Australia)
- Official Selection: Animanima (September 2013, Čačak, Serbia)
- Official Selection: Just People/Chalice Films for Change (July 2013, Melbourne, Australia)
- Official Selection: Heart of Gold International Film Festival (July 2013, Gympie, Queensland, Australia)
- Official Selection: Melbourne International Animation Festival (June 2013, Melbourne, Australia)
- Official Selection: Warburton Film Festival ‘Show Us Your Shorts’ program (June 2013, Warburton, Victoria, Australia)
- Official Selection: Brooklyn Film Festival (May-June 2013, Brooklyn, New York, USA)
- Official Selection: St Kilda Film Festival (May-June 2013, Melbourne, Australia)
- Official Selection: 15th Mo&Friese Children’s Short Film Festival Hamburg/29th Hamburg International Short Film Festival (May 2013, Hamburg, Germany)
- Official Selection: Australian International Animation Festival (May 2013, Wagga Wagga NSW, Australia)
- Particiption by Invitation: Berlinale Online Short Film Cloud (Feb 2013, Berlin, Germany)
Awards and Nominations
- Winner: Best Australian Student Film, 2013 Clare Valley Film Festival
- Nomination: Best Tertiary Animation, Atom Awards 2013
- Highly Commended: Australian Showcase, 2013 Melbourne International Animation Festival
- Winner: ’Senior Commendation Award’ , 2013 Warburton Film Fesival’s ‘Show Us Your Shorts’ program
- Nomination: Best Student Film, 2013 Australian Director’s Guild Awards
- Winner: Best Masters Animation 2012 (Victorian College of the Arts, Melbourne Australia)
- Winner: Orloff Family Charitable Trust Script Award 2012 (Victorian College of the Arts, Melbourne Australia)
An updated list of our festival screening and awards is available here: http://goodgrief.tv/screenings/
If you would like to get in touch about the film, please email email@example.com